Once again the Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport (LRS) Local Sport Alliances (LSA) have aligned their Sports Awards to create a pathway into the Leicester Mercury Awards. 8 local awards ceremonies will take place across Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland and certain categories will feed their winning entries into the Leicester Mercury Awards nominations process.
Each LSA is made up of individuals that represent all levels of sport and physical activity at a local level. They are a collection of people who have a desire to develop and promote sport and physical activity. They are made up of representatives from local authorities, schools, sports clubs, sports centres, volunteer networks and wider community groups.
The categories that will align will be:
- Sportsman of the Year
- Sportswoman of the Year
- Team of the Year
- Manager/Coach of the Year
- Under 19/School Team of the Year
- Young Sportsman of the Year
- Young Sportswomen of the Year
- Junior Sportsman of the Year
- Junior Sportswomen of the Year
- Active 4 Life Award – This award will be for participants that take part in physical activity and sport and have seen the benefits in their health and wellbeing
- Community Award – This award is for a club or individual that has made a significant impact to their local community with regards to sport and physical activity
- Lifetime Achievement Award – This is for an individual that has shown outstanding commitment and dedication over a number of years and deserves the recognition for their contribution to sport.
These will be judged for the period of September 2013 to September 2014.
At a local level, a Disability Sportsperson of the year Award will be given out and they will automatically be nominated for the Sportsman of Sportswomen of the Year category at the Leicester Mercury Awards.
Each LSA will hold an event to showcase and celebrate the achievements of local clubs and individuals in their areas, and also to highlight the great developments in sport that are happening at a local level.
LRS Legacy Roadshow Ambassador and Leicestershire County Cricket player Shiv Thakor is a big advocate of championing local sport. Shiv said “I really enjoyed being involved in the Sports Awards programme last year and it was fantastic to see so much amazing work going on at grass roots level. Some of the achievements were fantastic and it’s great to see them recognised and celebrated.” Shiv will be supporting the Rutland Sports Awards this year on 12th November.
The Sports Awards taking place are:
- Rutland – 12th November at Greetham Valley Golf Club
- North West Leicestershire – 13th November at Hermitage Leisure Centre
- Leicester City – 15th November at the Athena, Leicester
- Blaby – 26th November at Countesthorpe College
- Oadby & Wigston – 26th November at the University of Leicester
- Harborough – 27th November at The 3 Swans Hotel in Market Harborough
- Hinckley & Bosworth – 27th November at Bosworth Academy
- Charnwood – 1st December at Holywell Park, Loughborough University
This aligned pathway will give the opportunity to celebrate the great work and success happening across Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland. It will hopefully inspire more and more people to take up sport and physical activity, after seeing what can be achieved!
For more information and to nominate (including closing dates for each LSA), please visit